There is always something to be thankful for

As Thanksgiving quickly approaches I wanted this blog post to focus around what I am thankful for. While I get frustrated at times and I wish things could be different, I do try to find something I am thankful for each day. It normally doesn't take long to think of at least one thing to be thankful for. Four years ago, just a couple weeks after Dad died, we had to face Thanksgiving. It was very difficult but I was thankful I had my Dad for 18 years and that we had a good relationship.
   Some of these may sound cheesy or cliché but I am still thankful. I am thankful for my family. My Mom and sister do so much for me and they are so kind and caring. My Mom takes me to all of my appointments and helps me out in so many ways. I am thankful for my extended family who supports and helps out in any way and I can always count on having a good time at any gathering. I am thankful for my co-workers - they support me in many ways and I have made really good friendships at work. I am so thankful for a job I love and that has been so accommodating to me. I am thankful for caring kids I get to work with who help the days go by so much better and they can always brighten my day. I am thankful for my medical equipment. The scooter which allows me to get around at work. I am thankful for the wheelchair which allows me to get out and go to the store, zoo, movies, etc. I am thankful for my walker which allows me to safely walk around the house. I am thankful for the shower chair which helps conserve energy and prevents me from passing out in the shower. I am thankful for accessible places and ramps. I am thankful for all of my doctors who work so hard to figure out my diagnoses and some who treat me more like a friend than just a patient on a chart. I am thankful for all the advancements in the medical field (while I often wish there could be more I am still thankful). I am thankful for medications, tests whether it be a scan or a blood test they give so much information to the doctor. I often think back to how it used to be a long time ago for people who had auto-immune diseases who didn't get to be so fortunate because there weren't all those advancements yet to help them live a better and longer life. I am thankful for my sight, sound, touch, smell, and hearing. I am thankful I have access to electronics (computer, TV, iPad, phone, etc) . They help pass the day and it's a way to be distracted when you're in pain. It's also a way to be social when you don't feel like going out. I am of course thankful for a house with heat and air conditioning and food and water and clothes. The "essentials". I am thankful that each day is a new day because you can start fresh each day. I am so thankful for the community I live in, people are caring and supportive in many ways. I am thankful for my church family who has gone above and beyond with supporting me (and our family). I am so thankful for my faith without it I don't know how I would have gotten through some things like Dad's death, my health issues, etc and when I say I don't know how I would have done it I truly mean it. I rely on God and pray so much! I am thankful for the ability I still have to move and walk although not as much as I would like or wish I am still extremely thankful.  I know there are some things I am probably forgetting because when you really stop and think and look around there is so much to be thankful for in this life even though sometimes it may seem impossible. Just remember that "The things you take for granted someone else is praying for".  As you go into Thanksgiving enjoy your food and time with your friends and family, and remember what you are truly thankful for. I always like to end my day by thinking of at least one thing that I was thankful for that day. I want to start writing it down because I think it would be neat to look back on a year and see what all you were thankful for.

"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." - 1 Thessalonians 5:18



Comments

  1. I am thankful for you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am so thankful for you! Sorry I am just now getting back to this comment. I hope you have a wonderful New Years :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doctors, Nurses, and tears oh my!

The Blessing House

Rough Month